Flood water can wreak havoc on your home and mental state. It is costly to replace material items but being driven away from your home due to unsuitable living conditions can cause depression and anxiety.
Flood water damage should be treated differently to water damage from a burst geyser for example, because flood water is usually contaminated. All kinds of liquid and debris such as mud, sewage and other particles can be present in flood water.
It is essential to attend to flood damage within the first 48 hours. You may be tempted to get back to work or other engagements but keep in mind that the longer stagnant water has to sit, the greater the chances for mould and bacteria to grow in your house.
Mould growth can lead to various complications such as allergic reactions and asthma like symptoms. If the scale of the clean up seems to great for you, you can make use of professional flood cleaning services. A professional cleaning service will ensure that your home will be returned to pre-flood conditions. They will also ensure that mould is not given the opportunity to grow.
Should you wish to tackle the clean up yourself, or need to lend a hand before the cleaning crew arrives, make sure to follow these points:
* Wear protective clothing at all times.
* Dry as much as you can. Open doors and windows, make use of any fans or dehumidifiers you might have.
* Take all furniture outside for a good clean, but be careful not to let them dry in the sun,as the heat will cause wood to expand.
* Make sure to start clean up as soon as possible.
* Make sure all electrical systems are switched off before re-entering the premises.
* Get rid of all items such as mattresses, soft toys, paper, as these items can be a breeding ground for mould spores.
* Start clean up from top to bottom to avoid contamination.